Red Seal's Health Blog
6 reasons to take our Vita Fizz effervescent tablets
It is so easy to understand the reason why effervescent tablets are becoming such a popular way to take a supplement. Pop the tablet into water, watch it dissolve and drink!
Why we love them:
- Our range does not contain aspartame, sulphites or artificial colours or flavours.
- Many people find swallowing tablets or capsules difficult and a chore, especially if they have swallowing problems or psychologically they just can’t get that thing down!
- Because it has already dissolved and in a liquid it is fast and easily absorbed without the stomach having to break down a tablet or capsule.
- Red Seal has a variety of effervescent tablets with mouth-watering natural flavours such as Wild Berry Magnesium, Orange & Mango Perform, Blackcurrant Immunity and Lemon Hydrate.
- Not just a supplement, it is a pleasant way to increase your fluid intake.
- Effervescent tablets are gentle on the digestive system as they are in a pH stomach friendly form, ideal for those with a sensitive stomach.
Best of all – Red Seal’s Vita Fizz tastes so great you will look forward to taking it every day. The question is with four new effervescent tablets; which one will you try first?
Vita Fizz Perform – is a blend of B vitamins, Vitamin C and essential minerals that help you maintain your energy throughout the day.
Vita Fizz Immunity – 1000 mg of Vitamin C with 200 mg Echinacea extract and zinc to help support your immune system when you need it most.
Vita Fizz Magnesium – 180 mg of elemental magnesium to help ease and soothe your body tension and help prepare you to relax.
Vita Fizz Hydrate – with all the essential electrolytes, this is ideal on a hot day or for those who need to recover after exercise or illness.
Always read the label and use as directed. Supplementary to a balanced diet. Red Seal, Auckland.
Read More »
Give yourself a boost
Many of us fail to get the recommended amounts of essential vitamins and minerals we need each day.
Modern living can put many strains upon the body and sometimes diet is not enough to ensure we are coping. A good multivitamin is a form of insurance, providing a balanced intake of the key minerals and vitamins needed to support bodies and minds. However, there are times where we might be short of a particular mineral or vitamin and need to consider something a bit more specific.
Listen to yourself
The great thing is that the body usually tells us what it needs, we just have to be alert to the signs. It may be as simple as sticking out a tongue in front of the mirror. If it has a tremor this indicates a need for magnesium. A metallic taste in the mouth can indicate a zinc deficiency. Feeling tired all time? Perhaps it’s time for an iron supplement. “Red Seal has some great products to help you to be the best you can be and to live your best life,” says Julie Fergusson, Red Seal’s Naturopath.
Make it a multi
Red Seal multivitamins for men and women are great products that contain a balanced blend of the vitamins and minerals necessary to support a busy lifestyle.
‘I feel exhausted’
If you are feeling constantly tired, your hair and nails are brittle and you seem to pick up bugs easily you might benefit from Floradix Iron Tonic. Floradix is a completely natural source of iron, with herbs and minerals that assist absorption.
Tense muscles, difficulty sleeping? Want support for normal blood pressure? You may need a magnesium supplement. Try our High Strength Magnesium 800mg.
A zinc boost
Some of the more common symptoms of a zinc deficiency include loss of or diminished smell and taste, poor wound healing, hair loss, roughening of skin/rashes, low libido in men, canker sores, lethargy, and deformed nails. Look at High Strength Zinc Complex (it’s good for both men and women) or our Zinc, B6 & Magnesium formula.
Kindervital for kids
If you are concerned whether your offspring are getting all the nutrients they need, Kindervital for Children provides nine essential vitamins and calcium for healthy bones and teeth, together with herbal extracts to maintain healthy digestion. A single daily spoonful of delicious Kindervital will ensure your children receive all the nutritional support they require.
*Always read the label and only take supplements and herbs as directed and if you are taking any medication please check with your health adviser. Endeavour Consumer Health Ltd, Auckland
Read More »
High Strength – The Magic of Magnesium
It is good to know that you now get a great quality extra strength supplement at your local supermarket at reasonable prices.
The Red Seal High Strength range is just a little different from the average supplements in the supermarket, with:
- Easy to swallow capsules
- Most in veggie caps and suitable for vegans
- All high quality
- Higher doses; for when you need it the most
- A reassurance that they are New Zealand made
- Most are one-a-day doses
Deep Sleep – High Strength Deep Sleep
Sleep is the panacea of all ills and usually only becomes a problem when you repeatedly can’t get to sleep or have a restless sleep. Sleep problems affect day to day functionality; your mood, ability to focus, weight and immunity. Supporting the body’s ability to sleep naturally and in a non-habit forming way is important for total peace of mind. Formulated with ingredients that support both relaxation to get to sleep but also help stay asleep throughout the night. Deep Sleep is formulated with two forms of Magnesium, (aiding muscle relaxation and helping ease nervous tension), along with Tart cherry (to support our sleep/wake cycle), Passionflower, 5-HTP and L-tryptophan to relax the body, mind and support a good night’s sleep.
The Magic of Magnesium – High Strength Magnesium Complex
Muscle tension and stiffness, stress, worry, poor quality sleep, and much more.
Magnesium deficiency can be caused by a number of factors, but the main culprit is usually low dietary consumption or eating or drinking those things that deplete us such as sugar, coffee or even poor absorption. Stress and intensive exercise are other common factors that can deplete your body of magnesium. Magnesium is one of the seven major minerals that the body needs in relatively large amounts (Calcium, potassium, sodium, chloride, potassium and phosphorus are the others). Found in green leafy veggies, sometimes we just don’t get enough and our bodies constantly need more due to our busy lifestyle demands.
Magnesium is also most like a magical mineral as the body needs it for so many functions. In fact, it is necessary for every major biochemical process; digestion, protein synthesis, cellular energy production and glucose metabolism. Magnesium is also needed for bone strength, muscle strength and heartbeat, as well as the functioning of the nervous system.
Always read the label and use as directed. If Symptoms persist see your healthcare professional.
Read More »
5 Natural Ways to Stay Young
We can’t argue with our chronological age, but we can keep our minds and bodies as youthful as possible by taking care of our health. Here are five simple ways we can support our bodies – no anti-aging creams or surgery required!
1. Enhance sleep
Our bodies need sleep for rest and repair but the pace of modern life is often sleep depriving. Rather than relying on pharmaceutical aids, try a relaxing cup of herbal tea (such as sweet dreams) an hour before you go to bed. If you cut out TV, computers and other electronic devices at this time, your body will be much more relaxed and ready for sleep.
2. Look after your gut
The well-being of the gut is central to many health issues. Try lemon juice in warm water in the morning to kick start your digestive processes, eat foods with “good bacteria” such as yoghurt and fermented foods like kombucha or add a probiotic supplement to your regime. When your digestive process is running smoothly, you’ll feel less sluggish and more vital.
3. Add antioxidants
Oxidative damage is caused by free radicals, single-oxygen molecules that can negatively affect the tissues and other vital substances in your body. Antioxidants counteract the effects of free radicals and a great way to get them is to drink green or Rooibos tea – just three cups a day makes a therapeutic dose. You can also get your fill of antioxidants by eating a rainbow of fruits and vegetables.
4. Support your skin
Dry skin looks older and less radiant. For more hydrated skin, drink lots of water. Herbal and fruit teas are caffeine free and are a great way to increase your water intake. Vitamins and minerals can also support skin health – vitamin E, selenium, zinc, B6 and magnesium are all beneficial. As well as eating a diet rich in these elements, supplements are a simple way to up your intake.
5. Keep active
Keeping your body moving is incredibly beneficial to your overall health and how youthful you feel. A simple walk in the fresh air helps clear the mind, bolster the immune system, flood the body with beneficial natural chemicals, increase energy, lower stress levels and enhance self-esteem. Keeping flexible is also a key to youthfulness, as any yoga teacher will tell you.
Two great ways to fight ageing – and achieve smoother skin
“Ageing skin looks wrinkled, dry or scarred,” explains Red Seal naturopath Julie Fergusson. “One of the best ways to combat this is to ensure your diet is high in antioxidants such as vitamin C, by eating more fresh vegetables, citrus fruits and berries. You might also consider a vitamin C supplement,” she says. “Omega 3s are great for calming and moisturizing the skin too. Krill oil offers a higher concentration of Omega 3 than other fish oils and it also contains astaxanthin, a carotenoid that improves skin elasticity.”
Stay young! Stay alive!
Read More »
Natural Solutions for Your Daily Iron Needs
Women around the world are passionate about their Floradix. Beloved for its ability to prevent common iron deficiency symptoms that may occur as a result of growth spurts, monthly blood loss, pregnancy or digestive malabsorption, Floradix Formula Liquid Iron supports women throughout their lifetimes – before, during and after the childbearing years. For the thousands of women who find they are able to remain free from constipation commonly caused by iron supplementation, Floradix is the natural iron solution.
Are you low in iron?
Iron is one of the most common dietary deficiencies, affecting as many as 4-5 billion people or 66-80% of the world’s population, according to the World Health Organization.
Some of the symptoms of iron deficiency are:
* Fatigue and general lack of energy
* Decreased ability to concentrate
* Decreased endurance during exercise
* Increased frequency of infection
* Paleness and/or dark circles under the eyes
* Brittle hair and nails
* Cold hands and feet
Iron deficiency (pre-anemia) and anemia have also been linked to PMS, depression, decreased fertility and complications in pregnancy. An early diagnosis of pre-anemia can be achieved with a simple blood test called serum ferritin, allowing for easy correction and prevention of the progression of symptoms.
Floradix: A Quality Iron Supplement
Easy-to-digest liquid solution
The average person’s body will only dissolve and absorb 20% (3) of most solid supplements and will eliminate the remaining 80%, possibly causing side effects such as constipation, gas and bloating. Because Floradix is a liquid solution and does not need to dissolve, 98% (3) of the iron is available for quick potential absorption. As a matter of fact, Floradix was found in a recent study to be faster and more effective at bringing iron stores back to normal than iron from food (1), and can help women boost the average diet, which contains only 8-10mg/day, in order to meet the recommended daily iron intake of 18mg.
Highly absorbable iron compounds
Floradix boasts the highest possible iron absorption rate: up to 25% (4) is absorbed for potential utilization (that’s more than twice the absorption of other iron supplements or even dietary iron) due to its liquid format as well as the organically bound iron gluconate and co-factors. Better absorption means you don’t need to take as much. In a recent study, it was found that due to the high absorption rate of Floradix, very little unabsorbed iron enters into the intestinal tract and therefore constipation is unlikely to occur (5).
Safe, useable dosage
Because Floradix is so highly absorbable, the dosage can be much lower than other iron supplements while still satisfying daily supplemental iron requirements. As well, there is no risk of excess iron storage (2), making Floradix safe for long-term, daily use.
Iron for life
Iron is needed daily in order for your body to keep making new red blood cells, which transport oxygen and permit energy production. Vital for growth and optimal functioning, iron is required in varying amounts throughout the stages of your life. Research has shown that declining iron stores are responsible for numerous health concerns.
- Decreased fertility has been linked to low iron stores (6).
- Before and during pregnancy, low iron can be responsible for improper placenta development and occurrences of pre-term & low birth weight babies (7).
- In infants & children, low iron can cause inadequate production of red blood cells needed for growth.
- In toddlers & school-aged children, iron deficiency can cause poor learning, memory8 and behavioral problems as well as developmental delays (9).
- From the ages of around 15 to 55, the menstrual cycle, pregnancy & lactation increase the need for iron.
- In both men & women over 59, iron deficiency has become the most common deficiency due to the body’s decreased ability to absorb nutrients (2).
- Athletes and those who exercise regularly lose iron through sweat & the digestive tract, putting them at risk for deficiency and decreased endurance.
What sets Floradix Formula Liquid Iron apart?
- A highly soluble iron compound and special iron-fed yeast: Combined with B vitamins & vitamin C to provide the highest possible absorption rate.
- Floravital (Yeast-Free) Iron Formula: Provides the same benefits and delicious taste as Floradix. Suitable for yeast- or gluten-free diets.
- Safe, useable dosage: Satisfies daily supplemental iron needs and is safe for long-term supplementation as it does not encourage the storage of excess iron (2).
- Easy-to-digest liquid solution: Allows for more contact with absorption sites and provides approximately 98% (3) absorption.
- Great-tasting fruit juice base: pH-balanced with natural fruit juices.
- Enhanced absorption: added digestive herbs and iron-rich whole food concentrates.
- The Floravital formula is ideal for vegans
- Certified Kosher
- No harmful additives: No lead, pesticide residues, alcohol, preservatives or artificial colouring.
Also available in convenient Floradix Tablets.
1. Evaluation of Iron Study, Part 1, Department of Gynaecological Endocrinology and Fertility Disorders Heidelberg Women’s University Clinic.
2. Maurice E. Shils, M.D., Sc.D. et al., eds. Modern Nutrition in Health and Disease.9th ed. 1999, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins: New York.
3. The Physician’s Desk Reference,p.1542.
4. Sebold M. et al, Scientific report of a clinical trial to asses the actual absorption and utilization of the iron compound present in the preparation of Floradix. First Medical Clinic of University of Munich, 1964.
5. Evaluation of Iron Study, Part 1, Department of Gynaecological Endocrinology and Fertility Disorders Heidelberg Women’s University Clinic.
6. Ferritin and Fertility, Lancet1991: 337: 1554.
7. Effects of early maternal iron stores on placental weight and structure, Lancet2000.
9. Archives Disease in Childhood2001:84; 480-485.
Read More »
Why Take a Multivitamin?
One of the most commonly asked questions is “Why should I take a multivitamin supplement?”
Because vitamins and minerals are essential nutrients that the human body alone cannot manufacture in sufficient quantities to provide the foundation for all normal biological functions. Vitamins and minerals are required for normal metabolism, growth, and general well being. A single deficiency of any vitamin or mineral can endanger the whole body. Many people believe they are eating the ‘right’ foods, and getting the proper amount of essential nutrients in this way. And, of course, eating a balanced diet is one way to obtain the vitamins and minerals you need.
Read More »